The Netherlands- a land between places

"You don't look very American."

It's a statement I was pretty surprised to hear more than once during my first week of school. Especially since I had worn my denim overalls paired with a red flannel, for a sort of ironic kick as we all introduced each other. Even tried to drive the point home with a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich, which was met with a universal "Ew" by every European (and a few koreans).

It's been a while since you've heard from me, but I'm back: you're favorite, very ordinary, surprisingly sarcastic, peanut-butter-and-jelly loving American girl living in Amsterdam. Last time we spoke (if the last time you heard from me was on this blog) I was launching off to a new beginning. And it all worked out perfectly, despite many hours spent on dead-end phone calls, faking confidence through a few admission applications, and even some human tragedies.

You might also remember the promise of a website. The promise still stands, but I've decided it might be good to focus on my first year of school here at the Rietveld academy for a little. In the meantime, I'm hoping to keep up this blog, for the sake of both of us.

Anyway, back to that statement; I don't look very American. I also don't look very much like an artist. All of my brothers and sisters certainly look the part far more than me (even the one that's becoming a doctor, gosh dang it). I don't look like an athlete, or like a cook. I guess I just enjoy confusing people, or people are just rather bad at judging who people are by their looks.

As I move between continents and make my home in a foreign land, I've started to feel that ever-so-slight discomfort of not belonging anywhere in particular. A suspended sort of in-between state. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I've got a beautiful story to help me.

During my first week of school, the head of my department gave a speech. In it, he showed all of the students a tulip, a wooden shoe, and a round of cheese. We all smiled in recognition- that's holland for you. However, my teacher continued by pointing out how the wooden shoes were originally invented in Spain, and the tulips were imported from turkey, and cheese can be found everywhere in the world. He went on to explain how the Netherlands is a nation which survives by adopting that which is around them. They are a nation of explorers, and a refuge for people who want to explore ideas without persecution. Back in the 1600's, all sorts of influential people would actually come to the Netherlands because they could print anything they pleased.

And here I am, a not-very-American looking American, taking scholastic refuge in that very place. The Netherlands is a place that is perfect for in-between stage. Perfectly nestled among France and Germany and Belgium, and only a 40-minute plane ride from the UK. And now I'm at a school with classmates from everywhere-- France, Korea, Brazil, etc. As strange as I feel, being someone from nowhere in particular right now, I somehow fit perfectly right here in North Holland.

All that to say: I'm more pleased than I can express. I can't write it all down for you, or tell you enough stories to really let you know, but here I am, trying my best. It was lovely being home over the summer, in the presence of people who've known me for the better half of my life. To be among mountains and skinny-legged runners and under the desert sun. Thank you, to all of you who made this summer so perfect, on the 'Murica side of things.

To some, transitioning to a modern european city such as Amsterdam, with it's grey weather and bikes and sleek europeans seems like an impossible leap. In January of 2015 it totally did. But now, in October 2016, it really does feel like the perfect place for this Little Wild Wolfe.

To wrap up this little greeting, I just wanted to say you might notice that there's no pictures in this post. I'm sorry to have let you down, but I just didn't have it in me to gather my own photos. Instead, please head over to my friend and classmate's photo blog and enjoy a beautiful, photographic, view of my new life at school in Amsterdam is like:

http://doralionstone.tumblr.com/post/150128739589/excursion-to-arnhem

You could also just google "Amsterdam." Or just trust me when I say, "Amsterdam is very beautiful and also very cool." Whichever option you choose, you'll be golden.

I have so much to write, and such a little amount of time. I hope that all my friends and family and perfect strangers will continue to enjoy these little peeks into my life. The biggest reason this blog exists is to let all of you know that I am so appreciative of all the love you send my way. All of you largely make up my inspiration, my motivation, and my joy as I continue to move forward on all these little adventures.

I'm so happy to be back. I'm happy to be wherever I am: here or there or somewhere else all together. Thanks for tagging along, and I'll look forward to letting you know how things are in this in-between place for the foreseeable future.

With much love from your favorite little wild thing,

Jessica J Wolfe






Comments

Popular Posts