Starting Artist- My first steps

 I was once told that humankind has three major fears:

1. Fear of people
2. Fear of failure
3. Fear of the unknown

As it so happens, my two greatest hobbies in life (art and travel) have a tendency leave me in a constant state of fear.

When I first left college in 2012 my life, dreams and art were all paralyzed  by fear. After the encouragement of one of my university professors (“just draw something”) I remember making the first drawing I could bring myself to in months- a sketch of a bird flying overhead. 
With that my art began to flourish, literally. I began making a forrest of ink trees and charcoal birds drawn from my longing of the forested mountains of my hometown. However, if I had my way, the art probably would have stayed leaned against my ghetto bedroom walls. 
Luckily, I had unconsciously prepared myself for facing my fears— I made friends with people who challenged me.

 In September, 2013 my college friend invited me to join her for the Forest Grove Sidewalk Chalk Art Festival. By paying a $12 entrance fee you get  a square of sidewalk, a set of  chalk pastels, and a day to let your imagination run wild. Alongside countless other artists, no less. On a side note, I highly suggest anyone, of any age, to go and participate in the event.



That aside, when I showed up I had no idea what I was doing. My friend quickly set to work on a premeditated masterpiece. Staring at that blank slab of concrete was intimidating. Especially while I watched my friend use her rag and squirt bottle, both of which I neglected to bring out of pure ignorance. I didn’t know where to start. So I started where I began.

A tree. If you take a glance at my art gallery you’re sure to notice straight away the trees on more than a few paintings. 
Baby steps seem humiliating sometimes, but most of the time, they’re the only steps you can take. So I took them.

Using the chalk pastels my tree came to life. It was the first time I dared to use color for my trees. Boy did I ever use those colors. The color alone is what started drawing the small crowd- including the town’s newspaper photographer! To my surprise, they used my artwork for their advertising and even as a cover photo for their Facebook page. Not to mention what all the positive feedback did to my self confidence.

As a beginning artist, I never would have had the courage to enter a public event like the Sidewalk Chalk Festival. My participation and success is solely due to my friend’s invitation.
And get this: people were nice to me! They liked me! I didn’t have the best square of artwork (believe me, there were professionals there). But I started and I took baby steps and I did what I could. 

And it was more than enough.

Being a beginning artist can be tough, and sometimes all you need is some moral support and a bit of positive feedback. For all the aspiring artist out there, here’s my advice to you:

1. If you don’t know what to do, find other artists. They know what to do— follow their lead.

2. Want to learn? Go to galleries, public art events and art walks. It’s also a great way of finding other artists!

3. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. It’s scary and not everybody will love your art, but with great risks come great rewards. Don’t be afraid of criticism.

Comments

Popular Posts