Hello, Goodbye

The sun is just starting to peak over the mountains I love so much. Sitting here, in my family's home, sipping on Backporch coffee, there's little else in the world that could make me more content.

I'll be at the airport in two hours.

I guess what I mean to say is that goodbyes are hard, no matter the adventure that lies ahead. It's difficult for me to say goodbye to people whom I love so much. To mountains, to coffee, to the place I was born. Although the journey ahead is so exciting and adventurous, I certainly have a "mixed bowel of emotions" (a quote from my friend, Fred Hosillios).

But I'll be at the airport in two hours.

I. Am. So. Excited! My mind can hardly contain itself. I mean, last night I only got just over four hours of sleep because I couldn't get my stomach and my head to untangle themselves. The feeling reminds me of when you're about to start a race, jump off a cliff, and/or generally head into the unknown. Unknown possibilities, unknown potential. And you'll never know unless you jump.

My plane awaits.

To Bend and the greater Northwest- I'll miss you SO much! But let's be honest-- I'll probably be a little distracted by museums and 1,000-year-old buildings and gorging myself on all things delicious. My brain knows it's ready. These past three years have all been unwittingly preparing me for today- nannying, cooking, travel. . . Now I just need to convince my stomach.

As a parting gift, I wanted to leave you with my favorite quote on travel:

“Two of the greatest joys of travel don’t actually happen while you’re traveling: anticipation and reflection. Travel is by nature exceptional — it breaks the rules of our daily lives, uproots us and plants us elsewhere, disrupts routines and familiarities. But the deepest joys of travel are often felt while we remain in the predictable patterns we long to escape. The days and weeks leading up to our departure are filled with daydreams and expectations, planning and packing, anticipation and desire — the powerful emotions of what might yet be. And during the days, weeks and years that follow an adventure we relive it, retell it, remember it — establishing the powerful narratives of what once was. Through the stories we tell ourselves before we embark and through the stories we recount long after we’ve returned, the brevity of our journeys are extended and enriched. Indulge in the daydreams. Surrender to the memories. And even the briefest of journeys can span a lifetime.”


And lastly, my theme song for the year ahead:


I've finished my coffee and the sun's fully up. Looks like it's time to go! See you on the other side, my friends.

Comments

  1. How long are you going to be there jessica? Sounds like an awesome adventure! Have fun!

    ~Mikhaila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mikhaila! It is so good to. Hear from you- sorry for the delay in my reply. I'm still figuring this whole blog thing out, embarrassingly enough. I'll be in the Netherlands for a year! Well, nine months now. Gah, life is crazy, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Great first post Jess. I can't wait to hear about your adventure this next year! You are truly amazing! And, although I already miss you, I'm so glad that you are going on this journey and that you are bringing us along through this blog. I love you and have a blast over there! the Netherlands is a lucky place to be getting such a gem :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jena! You are too good to me :) I so appriciate your cheerleading- you have no idea how much the encouragement really means to me. Thank you! (Yes, I just figured out how to leave a comment on my own blog.)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts