5 Things I Love About [HOLLAND]

It's official; I have lived in the Netherlands for three months now.

It's official; I have never been happier in my life.

It's official; I don't have much battery power before my laptop dies. I'm at my host family's vacation house on the German border.

That said, I thought I'd write you a quick post about why the Netherlands has made me such a happy person. And mind you, this is a very quick, inconclusive post. There is so much that I am looking forward to for the remaining nine months. But here's a list of five things that have made my life heavenly for the last three months I've been here for.


1. I love the bikes. Holland is a country that is absolutely obsessed with bikes. I'm sure that I'm going to have thighs you could be jealous of by the time summer rolls around.

Further, biking in holland is a very special experience. Biking in Holland means seeing their version of a family sedan:

This is a Bakfiets 

Not wearing helmets:

While visiting their vacation house on the German border, my host mom scoffed "Germans," when we passed a pair of cyclists.  When I asked her how she knew, she laughed and pointed out their helmets. 

And finally, cycling made easy by bike paths, signal lights and even fancy roundabouts!


This fantastic roundabout is in Eindhoven


2. Stroopwafels

Enough said.
Plus, the fact that chocolate is always an option for breakfast.

The Dutch looks at this and thinks "Yes, I love breakfast."

How could there ever be a better country than one that eats chocolate for breakfast? Who knew breakfast could get even better?

3. Dutch sky. Who knew any skies on earth could feel so fantastically HUGE?

I guess the flattest country in the world warrants for a fantastic view of the sky.
You can definitely see how the Dutch painters got inspiration for their landscape paintings.

This is "Wheat Fields" by Jacob van Ruisdael 

4. Dutch fashion and architecture. The Dutch in general really like to find what works and stick to it. That means that, for the most part, much of Dutch fashion and architecture is very much the same. But it's really lovely. I personally really love the gigantic blanket-scarves everyone seems to have here (Yes, I will be getting on in that action).

Grab your best blanket; it's in style!


And can Dutch houses get any cuter?


Look at them: LOOK AT THEM.

5. Last but certainly not least, the museums! Not only are countless dutch artists renown around the world, but the Netherlands has managed to gather some of the most fantastic collections of artists from around the world in one place. And beyond art, there are countless natural history museums, science museums, and everything in-between (yes, Amsterdam has a Sex Museum).





It's official; the Netherlands is truly a fantastic little country. They certainly pack a "bang for their buck." And Holland is made all the better by my getting to be here.

I hope you'll stay around as I learn more about the awesome things this country and all of the surrounding countries have to offer. But in the meantime, my battery is almost dead and an Easter bike ride in the woods is calling.

ik zie je later wel weer !! (I'll see you later!!)

Jessica J. Wolfe



BONUS: Although I still don't think the Dutch have incredible music, this is one of my favorite ones. Just because it's fun. Also, to contrast my "Homesickness and the Art of Moving Forward" post.

Comments

  1. Hey Jessica,
    Fabulous job on your blog! Love the pix and your insights. So glad to hear that you are thriving, savoring and loving life there. Know that you are dearly missed, but we are thrilled for your amazing adventure! May health, joy and laughter fill your Easter. Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! What a blessing you are to me! Thank you for always encouraging me. And to think, none of this would have really been happening if I had never had your help! I cannot thank you enough.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts