The Risk of Falling in Love

Travel.

Travel when you can, where you can, as often as you can. Travel in your imagination and your writing. Travel to the gas station and back and over mountains and through unknown cities. 

Do it. Really, I think you should.

But if you have a choice, do it slowly.

Although I know I'm just a hot-headed youngster with adventure beating in my blood, slow travel is the best. In my mind, at least. What do I mean by slow travel? I mean choosing a favorite coffee hangout and learning the barista's name. Learning your way through a city without a map. Having a gym card. Learning to say "thank you" and "please" in the native language (even if that language consists mainly of free coffee-- I'm talking to you, PNW). Daring to fall in love, to connect to a place. 

It's a risk, I know. Falling in love always has been. And although I'm not the most relationship-savvy person you know, I think you can trust me when I say you should take that risk.

Sisters+Belgium=happiness
By now, I know you must be asking what exactly has inspired this rant. Let me tell you- my older sister is visiting! It might be the fact that she just finished her first year in medical school or that she just has a natural knack for it, but she's been helping me realize this concept of traveling slowly. Well, her and Belgium.

With Whitney's arrival comes some new adventures. Some are not so new for me-- I've been enjoying showing her what I've learned here in the Netherlands. Some are new for both of us. Specifically, this last weekend in Belgium. Beginning on Friday, Whitney and I took a bus to Antwerp to begin our delicious weekend warrior battle. Antwerp is awesome. Originally, I was planning on going to Brussels and Ghent. Thankfully, my host family mentioned their alternative-- Antwerp and and Brugge. When I asked why, my quiet, glasses-clad host father pondered for a minute.  

"I think they're just. . . More special?" 

There you have it, the reason for night-before changes. "Special."


Belgium is to the Netherlands what Oregon is to Washington. Or however that goes. Which goes to say, they're pretty similar but they do have their differences. I was specifically excited to try a little of what makes Belgium famous; their perfect trifecta of beer, chocolate, and waffles. Although I didn't have time to book a chocolate or brewery tour, Whit and I managed to piece together some of the best places to visit for those purposes. On the recommendation of our would-be tour guide (if we had managed to actually plan ahead), we visited Pierre Marcolini's- the only place in Antwerp where they make chocolate on-site. And let me tell you, Belgium's reputation for chocolate is not undeserved. It was the best chocolate experience I've ever had. Maybe that I ever will have. It was fantastic, and our server joyfully played with our taste buds-- from dark Ethiopian to typical caramel to unexpected rose. Or how about some earl grey chocolate to go with your earl grey tea. Yeah, that's a thing. That's a thing that happened.

It's not stinky- I'm just learning how to taste chocolate!


We also couldn't resist the smell of the Belgium waffles at Antwerp Central Station.

Our server was impressed with us ordering three of these beauties.


Conveniently enough, as we were munching away on the BEST WAFFLES IN THE WORLD Whitney's Belgian friend messaged her to let her know the best way to buy Belgium waffles-- from the yellow carts at the station, just like we did! Oh, and by the way, did I mention the Antwerp station is the most beautiful train station I have ever seen? 



Whitney heard it described as "the cathedral of train stations." Boy is that ever the truth. I also tried out airbnb for the first time, and Whit and I rented a room from a little fashionista. Our host also happened to be located in the Jewish Quarter of Antwerp, which was actually surprisingly cool to see. 



After a day of more-than-satisfying shopping, sweets, and much, much more, Whitney and I headed two hours away to Brugge. As a pre-curser, I knew nothing about Brugge. Nothing other than the fact it was "special." Yet again, my host father hit the nail on the head. Brugge is a place directly from a story book.



How incredible is that? Walking around in Brugge was like being magically transported back about 400 years ago, when there was knights in shining armor and ladies-in-waiting. After being in a relatively large, culturally-alive city like Antwerp, Brugge made for perfect contrast. Although crammed with tourists, walking those cobble-stoned paths was definitely something I'll remember forever. In Brugge, Whitney and I also "invested" in some nice, dark, Belgium beer.

Yum.
 Did you know each brewery in Belgium designs a special glass for their beer to specifically cater to specific flavors? Belgians really like to enjoy the finer things in life.

Speaking of the finer things in life, that brings me back to my first point. Traveling slowly. I love how our map in Antwerp quoted a Spaniard on shopping in Belgium: "It's a quiet place. In Spain, there is always someone yelling or making a scene. In Belgium, you can walk about in peace and stillness, even in the busiest streets in town."

Belgium is quiet and slow. The Netherlands (and Amsterdam specifically) really like to make fun of the Belgians for being boring. But man, was I thankful for a change of pace. For a sister willing and wanting to take time to sit in Cafes and enjoy or drinks. Without my sister and Belgium, I would have definitely been pushing, pushing, pushing. Let's visit the next shop, the next cafe, the next tourist destination. Having only a few days in each place I visit leaves me struggling onward, to the next thing, despite any exhaustion, blisters, or mouthwatering chocolates that might stand in my way.

"To go, please."

This point really hit home on my previous adventure: specifically in Berlin. Steph (the little sister) and I'd last stop in our epic, four-country, two-week-long European trip. On a short taxi drive from the train station to the place we were staying, we had a conversation with our taxi driver. A delightful old man who was a taxi driver purely because he enjoyed it, he snorted at us when we told him we really only had about two days in Berlin.

"You Americans! Always, 'see Europe in seven days!'."

As much as I think the best feeling in the world is one of being in motion, or how much I absolutely adored being able to see Prague, Krakow, and Berlin, his point rang true. I didn't really get to see them. I didn't really get to know them, to understand them.


Traveling fast means sleeping when you can, where you can.

I've been lucky. When I went to Australia, I got to stay there for several months. When I went to Cambodia, I went with experienced travelers who enjoyed connecting with local people deeply, despite how time-consuming it is when time is short. Here in the Netherlands I get to stay here for a year. In Belgium, I have a sister fresh out of her first year of medical school. 

We sat in cafes long enough for me to work out my American-born instinct to go as soon as possible. We enjoyed sitting in sunny squares, watching the world go by. Listening to the murmurs of the french-sounding Dutch they speak in Belgium. It was heavenly. Taking the time, as limited or unlimited as it may be, to stop, to taste, to soak in the atmosphere of a place, is always worth it. You know you're building a relationship to last when you take the time to really fall, deeply, richly, in love. I guess I'm only just now learning how to love truly.


So yes, I've been melted by rich chocolate, slowed down by dark beer, and inspired by my sister. Dare to fall in love, to connect deeply. Take the time. Take the risk. Travel slowly.

take it all in



Comments

Popular Posts