How to Be a Generally Awesome Au Pair

Unfortunately, as the my host children and I head into our third week of school, I have something to announce: summer is dead. Gone. A product of the past. Time has cruelly continued, and school is in full swing.

But never fear, Jessi is here! As an au pair, I think I have one of the most fun jobs in the world. I know some of you have questioned if I do actually work, and I think I can truthfully tell you that no, I don't. Even if I considered the few hours a day I am required to be present at the home work, it would be some of the lightest, most fun, and enjoyable work out there. I think my position is more like being a big sister than in-home childcare. Especially because the children are eleven and thirteen.

Working with younger kids is more challenging, but still so fun!


That said, I do have to keep the children entertained sometimes. Luckily, that's actually the part I love most. As proof of my au pairing, I thought I'd share with you some of my favorite pastimes with the children (I provided some links, but if you don't recognize a game, just do a google search or contact me with more questions).

1. Outside Games.
Outside games are essential for anyone aiming to become an "au pair extraordinair." Not only do parents love to see their children outside, but I do think outside play involves a ton more imagination and lots more physical interaction (fine motor skills, if you will). Here's my favorite outside games:

* All the typical sports- soccer, vollyball, catch, baseball, basketball, football.
* Wall ball
* Tag- my favorites are monster tag and penguins & cyclops (don't forget freeze tag, toilet tag, shadow tag, and spinning tag )
* Sharks and Minnows
* Capture the Flag
* Hunter
* Organizing races (obstacle, foot, or cycling)
* Kick the Can
* Red light, Green light
* Game invention (always a ton of fun. Let the kids make up their own game, or just take one of the typical sport and make up new rules. Always fun.)

2. Inside Games.
When you live in a place like the Netherlands or Portland/Seattle, knowing some inside games are a must (although, you should never be afraid to play in spite of rain, snow, and ice.). Inside games tend to be a little calmer, so it's an energy saver as well. Here's my favorite inside games:

Card games every morning.


* MASH
* Board Games (there's tons of weird ones out there, but never forget the classics like mancala, chess and checkers.
* Card games (I actually play cards with my eleven-year-old every, single, day before school! Our favorites are Go Fish, Rummy, War, Spit, King's Corners, And B.S.)
* The floor is lava
* Obstacle Courses (try making the children follow a string throughout the house looking out of the wrong end of binoculars. Make it a race if it's too easy)
* Making puppet shows or theatre performances
* Dance parties (don't forget dance competitions- who doesn't love a good dance-off?)
* Sumo Wrestling (throw a bunch of blankets, pillows and towels down, stuff as many as you can into your shirt, and "wrestle"`)
* Fort-building
* Drawing and coloring (crafts, in general)
* Spin the Bottle, Jessi's version (let the children choose 5 awful foods (vanilla essence, lemon slices) and 3 good ones (sweets, chips, juice). Spin the bottle!!)
* Reading (or making your own stories and story books!)

Duck-duck-goose is an international favorite


3. Baking/Cooking
Who doesn't like a good snack? Especially if you get to help make it! Think in terms of anything like cookies, brownies, and cupcakes. For healthier options, think of smoothies, popsicles, and parfaits (Making your own granola can be super fun too!). I also like to make "themed snacks" for the smaller children. You can check out some of my own creations on my Pinterest page.

**Bonus if you GROW the ingredients with the children

Gardening is always a good idea.


4. Science Projects
A favorite for boys opposed to most girl's love of crafts, science is not only fun, but also educational! bored? Not possible when you're making exploding lunch bags and fake snot! This is my favorite website for kid-friendly science experiments: sciencebob.com. (Parent bonus points: have the children keep a "Science Journal" with drawings, pictures, and a little writing- parents will love it!)

5. Music.
Here's the fact of the matter: music makes everything better. For commuting, dance parties, background music. Having a solid Disney/well-known list of songs on my phone has saved me more than a few times. Also, learning to sing little songs is a good idea- especially traditional ones! Children are eager to learn about music. If you're ever having a tough day with the children, I would highly suggest using music.

6. Local Events.
There is always something going on! Pro tip: parents generally like the free or cheap events. Always check local libraries for a community calendar, and look into outings to local parks, play grounds, and markets! Getting out of the house is a fantastic idea, especially in the summer.

Also, Legos. Always fantastic.

And that's pretty much it! All of these activities are awesome, and having a list like this is great to have on hand for those days when it seems like nothing will satisfy those active little minds. However, if I could only offer one piece of advice, it would be this-- be involved. Put down your phone, participate in the game, be there. What children crave more than anything else is love and attention. Be willing to tire yourself out for them, really.



Also, as an au pair, playing games like this is a fantastic way to develop language skills! Practice numbers with cards games, basic action words with outside games, so on and so forth.

Lastly, I always have the children follow these basic rules:

1. Always respect everyone.
2. Always listen to Jessi (if you have an opinion, ask politely, but know that Jessi's word is final.)
3. Always ask Jessi before you do or go anywhere
4. Never "aim to kill." (It's a phrase I use for harming people intentionally. Kid's are very physical, which is okay most of the time, but I always draw the line when they "aim to kill.")

Always have fun.

I apologize to all of you readers who aren't au pairs, nannies or in childcare, I know this was a rather specific post.

Aside from nannying, I've still managed to have a ton of fun. I think the highlight of these last few weeks was heading the the SAIL Amsterdam festival. Basically, every five years, some of the best tall ships from all around the world sail into Amsterdam's harbor to show off. I got to watch them all sail out on the last day, which was awesome!



I've also been working on a top-secret project (sorry, I'll tell you what it is eventually). However, if you really want to know what it is, I would so appreciate you heading to my website, jessicajwolfe.com and clicking the "like" button. The extra attention will really help!! Also, it's been updated with some more recent artwork (some of the stuff I've been working on while I'm here!)

A recent abstract from yours truly.


Settling back into a schedule is so nice. Back to school means back to regular- to card games and soccer and crafts. Even though the children I work with are older, an appreciation of connection and fun activities to fill the time never go out of style.

My aim when I work with children is always a little selfish. I want them to miss me when I'm gone. I want to become apart of their lives that they enjoy and even crave so that when I'm gone they notice. I hope Otto will always think of me with the time between breakfast and school and wish he was playing cards. I hope Cato will always how we wear our onesies together or how we baked and cooked together (I think my recipes for American pancakes and chocolate chip cookies will be used for years to come). I also know that by making these children miss me, intern, I will miss them. Maybe even more than they miss me. But it's absolutely worth it. Love is always worth it.

Either way, I am absolutely lavished with love. From the friends I've been able to make while I'm here to my host family/children. Even the fact that I get to be an au pair here in the Netherlands is an act of love in itself. My hope would be that everyone would experience a life like this; although simple, full of lasting value. Life is beautiful.

Until next time, friends!

Jessica J. Wolfe

Comments

Popular Posts