The American Abroad (9 Common Questions for American Travelers)

The shift of seasons always puts me into a reflective mood. Especially because autumn is my favorite season, I can't help being a little homesick. The Netherlands doesn't lack in crisp fall air or golden trees, but it's missing mountains and bits of frost and my favorite holiday (Thanksgiving). I think my longing for home is articulated by the realization that, by pursuing my University degree here in the Netherlands, I won't be seeing home for much longer than I anticipated.

In other news, I've picked up on the Dutch habit of being obsessed with talking about the weather.

Homesickness aside, the Netherlands is truly a fabulous place to be. It's absolutely charming. With every train ride past black-and-white spotted cows or day spent wandering from Van Gogh to Rembrant my heart feels fuller and fuller.

As I've mentioned before, the Netherlands is also one of the only European countries that actually really likes America. I once met a group of Dutch teenagers in Paris and they were quick to ask me whether their accent sounded English or American. When I told them American, I was surprised by their squeals of delight.

Being an expat is always a fun exchange of cultural questions and jokes. I feel like I've fully informed you on the expat's view of the Dutch, but I thought I'd give you a peek into how the Dutch feel about us. These are the most commonly asked questions when I tell people I'm from America.

"Are American high schools and universities really like in the movies?"

This is almost always the first question, especially from people around my age. All the younger people I've met on my travels are both fascinated/terrified of the idea of an American high school really being like the movies. And my answer? Actually, yes. Sure, maybe there's some extra theatrical drama or a school that's not covered in gum or graffiti, but the basic social system definitely exists.




The subsequent questions is usually along the lines of this:

"So do the university students really have solo cup parties (like in the movies)?"


Usually a more enthusiasic and less terrifying question, everybody is obsessed with the idea of a house party and red solo cups. They even have "American-themed" parties, the main decor being red solo cups. My answer to their question? Well, yes. (Oh, and as a bonus, Halloween parties!!)






"So, do you usually eat fast food all the time? McDonald's, right?"

McDonald's! Burger King! Hot dogs, Hershey's, S'moores, and most importantly, chocolate chip cookies (yes, they're known as "American cookies over here"). If nothing else, we Americans know how to eat. However, that doesn't mean we eat fast food all the time. Sure, we probably eat it more than once a year, but not everybody is on a strict McNugget diet.




"BANG BANG BANG"

-An actual statement by an Italian who couldn't speak English when I told him I was American. I think the statement speaks for itself. But really, I get asked all the time if I own a gun, if my family has a lot of guns, etc. Unfortunately, America does have a reputation as being very violent (and stupid).





". . . What's the catch?"

Overly polite, loud, and particularly uncomfortable with silence, that's us! My host mother recently traveled to California, and she told me she kept thinking to herself, "what's the catch?" or "what do these people really want from me?".  In all reality, it's just how we are. I've had more than one waiter be very disappointed when I didn't tip, not because I'm culturally expected to, but Americans have a reputation of always tipping. Personally my favorite American quirk, we're very well known for our overly aggressive kindness. 




"You can have fireworks all the time?!"

Yes, we can. Yes, I know they're dangerous. Yes, it's a lot of fun to blow things up. Yes, we catch things on fire/injure ourselves. Yes, I'm aware that's pretty stupid.






"OMG I'VE TRAVELED TO NEW YORK/LA/FLORIDA/DISNEY LAND AND I LOVE IT DON'T YOU?!"

Actually. . . I've never been. I've met some Europeans who have probably seen more of America than I have. If anything, I think hearing all these stories have made me appreciate the awesomeness of America even more. When I get back I'm definitely going to be more intentional at seeing the cool things America has to offer.




  

"American girls are pretty easy, right?"

Yeah, that's mostly a Hollywood thing. In America, I find women are much, MUCH less sexually promiscuous than the European women. However, traveling American females have a bit of a . . . reputation? Well, the "easy" thing is usually a common misconception. Just like the big, busty blond thing.





"So, do you like America? Which do you like more, the Netherlands or America?"


This is such a hard question. Honestly, I love America. If home is where your heart is, mine is spread far too thin. Both the Netherlands and America will always be places I can call "home." As much as I have a case of homesickness right now, I don't even want to think about how much I'll miss the Netherlands when I go back to the states. Traveling is truly a double-edged sword.

Overall, most people tolerate us Americans just fine. As loud, uncultured, "easy", unhealthy, and aggressive as we are, we're still friendly, fun, and each of us are unique. It's up to you, my fellow Americans, to portray yourself as you'd like to be seen.





P.S. I've started at the Gerrit Rietveld Academie! We've been learning about sculpture, which has been both challenging and fun. I really never feel more at home than when I'm with a group of artists. The academy has kept me busy, so that's why you only got one blog post last month.

Learning about composition/materials. When artists travel in herds, it's always fun.

Traveling is such a privilege. Peeking into culture, trying new things, meeting new people, the constant stimulate is so exciting. I like to think that we are all ambassadors for our own cultures, wherever we go, whatever we're doing. So yes, I am a loud-speaking, fork-in-right-hand, overly-kind, fast-food loving American. Although some things may change (I eat more with my left hand than my right now), there's no denying my roots. Luckily, with a country like the Netherlands, I'm free to do so, geen probleem (no problem).

Until next time, with lots of hugs and kisses from your favorite American Abroad!

Jessica J Wolfe






Comments

  1. It's so interesting to see what other countries think of the US! I'm heading to Europe next year and it's great to hear a firsthand account of what to expect. Thanks for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kenaia! That's awesome!! Where are you headed? Is it for school?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts