Do Hard Things

As it turns out, autumn in the Netherlands is an experience worth having. It's been easy to take advantage of this season because of three main aspects of my life at the moment; marathon training, spending more time in Amsterdam because of art school, and the children's autumn vacation.

Hello from Amsterdam! Wish you were here :3


First on the list are long runs for my upcoming marathon in Greece. Let me say, if I thought autumn in Oregon was good, autumn in the Netherlands is absolutely astounding. And I get to take full advantage of it as my runs have stretched into hours upon hours. The Netherlands is criss-crossed with over 32,000 km of cycling paths, which doesn't include the sprawling farm country roads and gigantic old parks. Not to mention it's cool, sea-level (or lower), and stunningly gorgeous. Further, my runs have been going impeccably well. I feel ready for my marathon in Athens in two weeks, but even then I'm going to be cautious and just aim to finish rather than for a competitive time. 

Yes, this is actually a picture from my run. I swear, if you lived here, you might even be tempted to pick up running.

Further, over the past few weeks, I've been falling more and more into the swing of school. If you didn't catch it previously, I've started attending the Gerrit Rietveld Academie since September. The Rietveld is one of the top art schools in Europe at the moment and is really leading in the field of contemporary art. They're a famous fine arts and architecture school, but they have a lot of different programs: art and language, ceramics, fashion, design, sculpture, etc. It's such a privilege to be attending there! 

I made a sculpture as big as me! (This is me presenting it)

I can't lie, starting at the academy was quite difficult. I've always been a great fan of old masters, and my favorite time period in art has always been the renaissance. I think you can understand how converting from Michelangelo and Di Vinci all the way through Picasso and Warhol and Pollock to the present state of art (contemporary) is not an easy transition.  

I'm pretty proud :)



However, I think I can confidently say the transition is taking place and I'm even enjoying it. Contemporary art is very noble in my mind- dedicated to expressing ideas and emotions and experiences, abstract aspects of the human experience that are quite difficult to express using arts alone. I think what I enjoy the most about this school isn't especially just the art, but also the ideas and theories and being with people who desire to think and feel deeply. It's like breathing a breath of fresh air-- I feel like I fish in water.

My favorite part so far: working with all kinds of new materials!

Next, this last week has been autumn vacation with the children! So much fun. We went to a place entirely covered with trampolines where I may or may not have mastered the front flip. We also went to their vacation house on the German border. There, we went to a cozy little movie theater (really, little) where we watched Pan (all in Dutch. No English in small towns). My favorite parts have actually included food. We had a homemade pizza-making night, picked apples from their orchard and made fresh apple cider, and celebrated their uncle's birthday at a fancy little hotel restaurant.


Fresh apple juice!


They also took me to a Dutch Modern (realistic) art museum (MORE). It was fantastic and very impressive for a rather small museum.

The museum is in the renovated town hall, really cool

Lastly, celebrating my host father's brother's birthday at a ritzy little hotel was so nice. The dutch really know how to eat well.

Best. Dessert. Ever.

As you can see, the Dutch are treating me just fine. Life here is really beautiful- I love the low sea-scented fog in the mornings and the huge, tall trees. I love the new people and materials of the Rietveld. And yes, I love my host family.

This little dude doesn't especially like photos of himself, but I thought I should sneak one in. Target practice!

Although, I have to admit, this season has been a little bitter sweet for me as well. I realized a few weeks ago I wasn't going to be able to make it home for Christmas, which means the next time I'll be seeing the mountains of my hometown will be next summer-- a year and a half after I left. If you don't know me, you should know this, I love my family. Further, I miss my family. Not being home for that long will be a little difficult. Committing to an education is not for sissies.

Still, this is, undeniably, a beautiful place.

On that note, I think I've made some big realizations about myself. Or maybe not realizations, but confirmations. Especially with my most recent journeys with art and long distance running again. With my decision to pursue art I realized that my goal in life probably isn't to be rich. With my return to distance running I recognized that I don't especially aim to be especially comfortable either.  The fact of the matter is that the things which add meaning and purpose to my life don't especially involve comfort. In fact, they might even involve the actual pursuit of discomfort. To grow, to change, to challenge myself and others. This is who I want to become.

Being in the Netherlands isn't always comfortable for me. The place I'm staying and my host family are absolutely fabulous, but it doesn't mean I enjoy rain 360 days of the year, or a lack of mountains, or the peculiar Dutch habit of disliking anything deemed "different". But, even looking back on this blog, I can tell there has been changes in me.

I've learned to love the things that change me.  These things, art, running, even the challenging aspects of Dutch culture, mold me. Or maybe, more accurately, fill the mold of who I am. Traveling, connecting with people, writing, my time here has only made me more of the person who I've always aimed to be.

I realized this week's blog post is kind of dull, but I'm so happy you could join me. If nothing else, I hope you feel encouraged to do things which put you out of your comfort zone. To face yourself, or perhaps others, or perhaps a place. I know many of you have already learned these lessons I am only learning now, so I hope you will be patient with me.

Thank you for joining me on my journeys, big and small.

With big, wet, hugs from Holland,

Jessica J. Wolfe





Comments

Popular Posts