The Sunday Times

My least favorite part of travel is that fact that you are forced to say goodbye much more often. Goodbyes are best when they're hard. You know that you really care when goodbyes are hard. But the fact remains that goodbyes suck. Now, you may be asking- why the rant? Let me tell you folks, I said goodbye to my older sister this morning.



My room is surprisingly big when there's only one person to fill it.

I'm glad today in the Netherlands has been grey. If nothing else, the weather understands me. Now I have an excuse to stay inside, play jazz music, and drink tea while I sulk. And while I sulk, I'll reflect. I think that's just the type of Sunday this is.

When I last wrote you, Whitney and I had made it to Belgium and back. The following two weeks I worked, so we pretty much stayed in the Netherlands. But never fear! There's no dull moments with this dynamite duo! We explored the Naarden vesting (fortress). It's a sweet old fortress that looks like this from above:

Compliments of a random image from Google

The vesting is only a 20 minute bike ride from Bussum, so it makes a nice day trip. It has ice cream for one euro and little shops and galleries and a beautiful old church.

Naarden Grote Church, awesome 14th century church

Perhaps more significant was our weekend day trips, where we went to Rotterdam and Maastricht. Rotterdam was almost completely bombed in World War two, so it's all new construction. What I like about Rotterdam is the fantastic fashion and art scene. It reminds me a lot of Portland, Oregon, but more refined and edgy. More "European," if you will.

The Cubist houses in Rotterdam! Because Rotterdam has been completely remade, it has great examples of more modern Dutch architecture. 

Following the suggestion of many Dutch people themselves, Whit and I also made our way to Maastricht. Maastricht is a hodge-podge of culture and history, and actually was added to the Netherlands quite a bit later than most of the Dutch territories. When I asked my host father to describe it, he said it was, "rather un-Dutch."

Not typically Dutch but definitely really beautiful

Maastricht actually felt a lot like France! Or Belgium. Or Holland. Or Germany. You get the picture? It was such a lovely city, and I especially loved the old Medieval walls. I may or may not have a thing for crumbling ancient ruins (and honestly, who doesn't??)

Maastricht's old city walls

The following week the children's summer vacation started! What fun. Although I only had them for four days before they headed off to summer camp in Scotland, we still managed to pull together some fun. The week consisted mainly of hanging around the house. We made paper lanterns, played board games, had a (few) water fights, and enjoyed the family's new Barbecue.

I love these kids, going to miss them this summer!

However, for me, the highlight was visiting Zandvoort Beach! Yay for daytrips to the beach.

"You're the worst mermaid I've ever seen" -Cato, after trying to make Otto into a sand-mermaid.

It was a bit of culture shock going to the beach, really. True to Dutch tradition, there's tons of money-making schemes at play, even on the beach. They had chairs and wind guards and umbrellas to rent, along with tractors pulling food carts and ringing bells like ice cream trucks along the beach. In contrast to the windswept, mostly empty, very raw Oregon coast, Zandvoort was quite the contrast.

During Whitney and I's walking tour of Amsterdam we took, our guide explained this Dutch habit perfectly. When we were touring the Red Light District, he mentioned how the Dutch were very into making money through loopholes. However, making that money had to follow three main rules:

1. The process of making the money can't hurt anyone directly (the policy for Prostitutes; I'm glad them so not us)
2. It must be discreet (Why places selling soft drugs are called "coffeeshops")
3. It must make a considerable amount of money (think the massive amounts of tourists coming to Amsterdam for. . . reasons.)

Also, I learned my new favorite slang for the Dutch- Cyclepaths. Thank you awesome tour guide, stay awesome.

We cycled to Amsterdam!  Funny story: A random guy told me, "I like your bike." I said thanks. He responded by saying, "just kidding, get a new one." Even for Dutch humor, it was pretty extreme. And hilarious. 
Lastly, we also managed to visit the Anne Frank Museum last week! Not only did I get the chance to meet up with my cousin whom I haven't seen since I was quite small, but the Anne Frank House was such an amazing experience. And I can't even lie, as I climbed the stairs I may or may not have been  thinking of The Fault in Our Stars and it may or may not have made me a bit teary. I also bought my own copy of the diary, which has a special sticker saying it's from the Anne Frank House. Best. Souvenir. Ever.




The Netherlands has been fantastic. However, I couldn't resist tossing another adventure into the mix. On the first weekend in July, Whitney and I headed to LONDON!!! Having only a weekend, we had a list of the most important to-dos. Our list was mainly visiting Westminister Abby for Evensong and Ride the London Eye. We pre-booked a double decker (I would not suggest using them, ps) and also pre-booked our London Eye tickets.

Westminister Abby was amazing! Did you know that's where Isaac Newton is buried, and where every king (minus two) and queen of England has been crowned --if not married as well- since 1066. We saw the coronation chair they all sat in! Also, hearing the Evensong was amazing. Whitney and I waited in line and were rewarded not only with free entrance, but also with my attending my first-ever catholic service in the Abby. The High Commission of the Kongo was there with his staff as well, so they had the full choir. When we were dismissed, we got to walk under the massive organ as it was being played. Definitely a memory I'll keep forever.

Waiting-in-line-photoshoot

Also on my list of must-do's in England was to hit up a proper English pub and have a real pint with fish and chips. After wandering the streets until well after our feet had reached their breaking point, we stumbled across a little pub called Albert's Arms (after Prince Albert), which happened to be one of the oldest pubs in the area. There, we sat with locals, watched the Wimbledon match, cheered when Serena Williams scored and the British girl lost, much to their hearty laughter and boos. 

Pardon me sir, can I have a proper pint?

The next day we got up early and cruised the city on our double-decker. The highlight for me was definitely seeing the National Gallery. So. Many. Fantastic. Artists. Not crammed into a GIGANTIC museum, but actually pretty manageable. Life. Changing.




Next on our list was riding the London Eye. Thanks to the suggestion of my awesome host father, we managed to pre-book our tickets for sunset and even payed .30 pence for the "Champaign Experience." Basically, we got to hang out in a cool VIP lounge instead of waiting in line, and then we got to have a cheer while watching the sun set over Parliament. It was incredible.




Unforgettable. Truly.

Phew. I guess I had a lot to fill you in on, huh? Sometimes it's hard to write these posts, when I haven't stayed up to date on them. Where do I even start? Maybe you can understand how depressing it is for me to say goodbye to Whitney. My adventure buddy, close family, and a bit of home abroad. Yeah, I'm turning up my jazz music right now. Maybe it can drown out my feelings.

On that note, now that you've been filled in with the last few weeks, let me fill you in on the future weeks! This summer, I have a whoping FIVE WEEKS of vacation while my host family enjoys their summer. Next week, I'll be headed to Ireland. A week later, I'll make my way to Scotland and then onto Spain. From there, I'll be making my way to the French Alps to Grenoble, and then home to Amsterdam. My host family has also commissioned me to paint their kitchen table, so I'll be working hard after my weeks abroad to finish that project.

Talking about the future fills me with this sort of nervous excitement. Although I'll be meeting up with people while I travel this summer, it will be my first truly solo, long-term trip. A little wild thing indeed.

So, goodbye Sunday sadness- and good riddance! Although I've got to take a Sunday every now and then to stare out at rain-streaked windows, Sundays don't last forever. With that, it is time for me to move on, my friends.


May you always take the good things when they come, may your goodbyes always be tearful, and may your feet follow your heart.

Cheers!

Jessica J. Wolfe




Comments

  1. I love how much you are soaking up this adventure, Jess! My best to you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts